Don't blink. It's a quick recipe, slightly modified from the one at afghanonline.com
1 Medium Yellow Onion
1 lb Ground Meat (I like lamb or pork the best)
1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp toasted and ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp finely chopped (or pressed) garlic
- Thaw the meat. Still frozen? Thaw it in the fridge and do the recipe in a day or two.
- Place the tomato sauce and water in a measuring cup and mix together.
- Place the salt, black pepper, ground coriander, and turmeric into a small bowl.
- Place the chopped garlic in a small bowl
- Chop the onion and leave it on the cutting board. (I love swim goggles for chopping onions).
- You should now have chopped onion, thawed meat, a spice bowl, and a measuring cup with the tomato-water.
- Add some oil to a skillet and brown the onions until golden.
- Add the meat and cook over medium-high heat. Break up any clumps and stir as you go until mostly cooked.
- Reduce heat to medium
- Add garlic and cook until the garlic is softened. Reduce the heat if necessary. You don't want to burn the garlic or the spices in the next step.
- Stir in the spices. Cook for 15-30 seconds (keep stirring).
- Slowly add the tomato sauce and water, stirring as you go.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every once every five minutes or so.